Skip to content

1903 – 1907

Bull’s Grand Hotel

J.A. Bull transforms a 16-room inn into a 119-room resort with orchestra, telephone, and New York papers by evening post. Four thousand guests in a single season.

Timeline
1903
MilestoneOwnershipCommerce

J.A. Bull Purchases the Property and Forms Chick Springs Company

Bull, already a prominent Greenville grocer, acquired the resort through $3,000 in common and $9,000 in preferred stock in the newly formed Chick Springs Company. His 1903 ad captures the pitch: “Get the Habit. When you get up feeling badly, don’t drink a glass, drink a half gallon bottle of Chick Springs water before breakfast.”

Bathers at the springs, early 1900sCSHS
J.A. BullDaniel Bull

Sources

1905–06
MilestoneCommerce

Hotel Expanded to 119 Rooms; 4,000 Guests in a Single Season

Bull enlarged Westmoreland’s 16-room hotel into a three-story, E-shaped resort with 119 double bedrooms, a polished hardwood ballroom with casement windows, six cottages, and an annex. Nixon’s five-piece orchestra from Knoxville played morning and afternoon concerts. The grounds covered 117 acres with tennis, golf, bowling, archery, swimming, horseback riding, and children’s playgrounds with “gentle, patient donkeys.” Long-distance telephone and telegraph connected guests to the world. A full-page illustrated ad ran in the Atlanta Journal on May 29, 1904: “The Ideal Health and Pleasure Resort. Positively no consumptives taken.”

The resort grounds, not the hotel: "Scene in Spring Park, Chick Springs, S.C." The pleasure garden with octagonal gazebo and tropical plantings.
The resort grounds: a gazebo and bridge in Spring Park at Chick Springs, c. 1900.
The resort grounds: the downstream mountain laurel bridge — a signature feature of Spring Park.
"4,000+ guests in 1904, Nixon\
The grand dining room could seat 400 guestsCSHS
“Children’s Friend, Chick Springs Hotel, Chick Springs, S.C.”, c. 1903–1907. The three-story Bull hotel is visible behind the donkey.CSHS
“Shady Nook, Chick Springs, S.C.”, c. 1903–1907. Handwritten: “Have been here since the 4th going...”CSHS
Atlanta Journal, May 29, 1904. Full-page illustrated resort advertisement reaching the Georgia market — hotel above the lake, bottled water, and resort amenities.The Atlanta Journal via Newspapers.com
J.A. Bull
December 1907
FireLoss

Hotel Burns Again—$40,000 Loss

Fire was discovered at 10:30 PM in the unoccupied hotel. Bull, living in the old hotel building nearby, spotted it early but could not operate the firefighting apparatus alone. By the time help arrived, the fire was too far gone. The old hotel and cottages were saved by a bucket brigade and wet blankets. The building—three stories, E-shaped, “probably the handsomest summer resort property in the state,” according to the Yorkville Enquirer, December 1907—was gone. The Beaufort Gazette’s headline, 200 miles away: “Famous Resort Burned.” Bull rebuilt, adding to a cottage to create a 42-room structure. He would not stop.

"Probably the handsomest summer resort in the state" — discovered 10:30 PM, three-story E-shaped building, $40,000 loss.
J.A. Bull